You are required to create an original arrangement between 2 and 3 minutes in length based on one of the following stimuli and in one of the following styles:
- The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Deep Blue Something
- 2-Tone Ska (suggested listening The Specials, Madness, The Beat)
- Trance (suggested listening Planet Perfecto, Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten) This task must be sequenced.You are reminded that if you use any pre-recorded loops and samples they must be manipulated/shaped/edited/processed in order to gain credit. All samples and loops must be royalty-free and not taken from any commercial recordings. Any samples or loops must not exceed two bars in length.Live performances recorded as continuous audio tracks or edited to form continuous audio tracks are not permitted in this task.
You can find listening examples for both styles on our Youtube Channel:
You can find the original songs here:
The video guide we watched in class is also available here, however you will need a logon for the musictechstudent website. Please contact me for that if you don’t have it. firstname.lastname@example.org
TASK – Research
1. Listen to the suggested stimuli – The Man Who Sold the World and Breakfast at Tiffanys. Chose one.
2. Listen to the suggested styles – Trance and 2 Tone Ska. Chose one.
3. Make a list of the key musical elements of your chosen style. You must include all the elements of DRCATSMITH (Dynamics, Rhythm (+ Tempo and Metre), Context, Articulation, Texture, Structure, Melody, Instrumentation, Timbres and Harmony). As this is a music technology course! you will also need to consider technology!
4. Chose approximately five features of the stimulus to include within your composition. Describe for each feature, how you will use this in your music.